Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Resurrection

Since Bill no longer seems interested in blogging about the house, I'll try to pick up where he left off way, way back in July sometime. How naive we were to think we would finish it by late fall. Currently the thinking is the house will be done, when its done, no time frame, no pressure. I still try to go to the house every day, rain or shine, holiday or no holiday, and do something. It doesnt matter if its a small task or a large task, just always doing something makes me feel better. Back in July, we had painted 2 of the bedrooms, and since then both bedrooms have again been re-painted. But in our defense, they really do look much nicer than the first try. I could show you a photo of the new colors, but back in July, we had the old doors, and I think it was August when we decided that since we have a couple of interior doors to replace, why not replace all the interior doors while were at it. We had decided on getting 6 panel doors, and I spent a couple weeks replacing the 16 doors, all which involved cutting new hinges on the new doors before attaching them to the old frames which were fine. Of special note was the door on the A/C-Furnace, which I had to custom size, by cutting about 6-8 inches off the top and bottom of the door, and rework the door frame to its new length of 5 feet tall. I've included the photo of the A/C - Furnace door. Every door had to be replaced, if not, then it would give the feeling like "they replaced the doors" When you come into the house, since every door is a 6 panel door now, it doesnt stick out that its been changed, which is what I want. I want the changes to look as if thats the way the house was origionally done if at all possible. You know what I mean? All the doors are painted white, the photo taken was before it was painted, and by the way, Mr. Bill had painted every interior door, and did a good job of it, as with all the painting done in the house, it was done by hand.


This next photo is what the doors look like, the only thing different with this room is that it has 2 doors, origionally it was 2 - 24" doors, but if you only leave 1 open, its a narrow opening, and the other door if left open, then you need to leave 24" on both walls so the doors can be fully open. so instead of that, I installed one 30" door, and one 18" door on the other end, leaving a wider passage to use for single door useage, and if you want the space fully open, then you only need to leave 18" open on the one side, and the other wall always had plenty of space as it was. I did make a custom wood part so that the doors joined properly and while I could have bought the wood part for $30 something dollars at home depot, I made it myself and spent about 6 dollars in wood, and 30 minutes of time on the table saw. It actually is a better part than what you could buy if I do say so....lol. The red bedroom is on the right, I need to take a photo of the green bedroom.


Thats all for now, we have several other things to share soon. I need to take some photos if I'm going to share more stories with ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment