Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Time Flies


It's been nearly a month since our last blog entry,..... my how time does fly..... blogging about what your doing when your mostly busy doing what your blogging about can be tricky to do, its hard for me to take the time to write, when all I want to do is work on the house for the most part. Hope you understand. I'll try to write more since Bill hasn't had the time of late to do it.

So what have I done for the past 30 days?.....

People told me it was going to be hard to do, and if I had to do it again, (scraping and smoothing the ceilings), I might seriously be looking for a new house to buy or ask for a discount from the seller. I'm looking forward to the day when this part is over and done with.

 After hand troweling nearly 8 boxes of pre-mixed joint compound, thats 28 gallons, or roughly 272 pounds,  I am nearly done smoothing out all the ceilings in all the rooms, (4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, diningroom, living room, breakfast nook, kitchen, walk-in closet, hallway & closet). I estimate that  Thursday, the initial work will be done, then I will check each ceiling and do any sanding of ridges and whatever to make it ready to be spray textured in the coming days...
It was not every single day that I worked on the ceilings mind you, but roughly every other day on average. A couple of times I cut the lawn, as the grass still grows, and weeds need to be sprayed with herbicide, then theres watering, and trying to plant some things in the back yard. Speaking of the back-yard, we now have 5 trees growing in it. one is a lemon tree, a mandarin orange tree, clementine orange tree, lime tree, and an elm tree. The Elm tree is Rusty's favorite tree, I've had it growing in a pot for about 10 years, now its in the ground proper,  just for him.....


More Breathing Room

One of several things I did to break the monotony of smoothing the ceiling was to install a second return air duct for the (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) HVAC system. I had noticed the first time when I looked at it, that the amount of suction is so great, that on a new a/c filter, it warps the filter and it was almost enough pull to collapse the filter and render it useless.  Another thing is the amount of air coming thru the vents didnt seem like much, so with that in mind, and as luck would have it, I was easily able to double the air filter capacity by just cutting a second hole on the adjoining wall and thereby more air could flow thru the vents and the filters don't become so disfigured when it is running.
Hole cut in wall

I replaced the old return air duct with a new one also, old one pictured alongside new one in this photo. Walls need paint....I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment